The Iowa Playwrights Worskhop is on hiatus for 2018. Sorry! Check back for updates.
It’s Our Mission
One element of Tallgrass Theatre’s mission is to provide an outlet for local talent to explore and develop.
Tallgrass Theatre would like to invite writers, actors, and audience members to experience the process of creating theatre together. Our Iowa Playwrights Workshop (IPW) allows writers and actors to grow in their craft while developing new works of theatre. It also invites the audience to be part of the process and see how scripts grow and change from the first reading to a staged performance! The Iowa Playwrights Workshop is dedicated to developing and nurturing the theatre craft in Iowa.
The Iowa Playwrights Workshop process is an opportunity for Iowa playwrights to work with actors, directors and other theatre artists to more fully devlop and revise a theatrical script. Playwrights should expect to dedicate significant time during the week-long workshop process, including 8-10 hours of rehearsals, as well as additional hours working with their script. That week's energy will culminate in a performance of the script for a live audience, and a talkback session with audience and guest panelists to provide further feedback.
Iowa Playwrights Workshop Submission Guidelines (Please note: The Iowa Playwrights Workshop Program is on hiatus for 2018.
- Plays may be submitted at any time, but to be considered for the 2017 Workshop, they must be recived by 11:59pm (CST) on May 31, 2017. Plays submitted after this date will be considered for the 2018 Workshop.
- Playwrights with a strong Iowa connection may submit one original full length or one-act play.
- Submissions need not be considred final versions, but should represent completed drafts.
- Plays that have been produced or published will not be considered. Musicals are not accepted.
- Casts should require no more than 6 actors. More than 6 characters is acceptable, but all doubling should be noted by the playwright.
*Please email IPW@tallgrasstheatre.org with any questions or issues with your submission.