Iowa Playwrights Workshop
It’s Our Mission
One element of Tallgrass Theatre’s mission is to provide an outlet for local talent to explore and develop.
Tallgrass Theatre would like to invite writers, actors, and audience members to experience the process of creating theatre together. Our Iowa Playwrights Workshop (IPW) allows writers and actors to grow in their craft while developing new works of theatre. It also invites the audience to be part of the process and see how scripts grow and change from the first reading to a staged performance! The Iowa Playwrights Workshop is dedicated to developing and nurturing the theatre craft in Iowa.
Script Reading Dates TBD (Summer 2016)
The Iowa Playwrights Workshop process is an opportunity for Iowa playwrights to work with actors, directors and other theatre artists to more fully develop and revise a theatrical script. Playwrights should expect to dedicate significant time during the week-long workshop process, including 8-10 hours of rehearsals as well as additional hours working with their script. That week’s energy will culminate in a performance of the script for a live audience, and a talkback session with audience and guest panelists to provide further feedback.
Submission Guidelines 2016-2017
- Plays may be submitted at any time; however, they must be received at firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. (CST) on May 15, 2016 to be considered for the 2016-17 Workshop.
- Playwrights with a strong Iowa connection may submit one original full-length or one-act play. (Playwrights may submit more than one short play if the plays are intended to be produced together.)
- Submissions need not be considered final versions, but should represent completed drafts.
- Plays which have been produced published will not be considered.Musicals are not accepted.
- Casts should require no more than 6 actors. Plays with more than 6 characters will be accepted if the roles can be double-cast to utilize no more than 6 actors. Doubling information must be noted within the script or application.
- Plays must be e-mailed in .pdf, .rtf, Microsoft Word or Google Documents format to email@example.com (Scanned, handwritten scripts will not be accepted).
- Play submission must be accompanied by an Iowa Playwrights Workshop Application. Download, complete, and save the application to send along with your script(s).
|Click here to download application|
If you have questions about the submission guidelines, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Winning Workshop Scripts
- 2015-16 Season: Masha by R.J. Vrtis
- 2014-15 Season: Lesser Gods by William Bonfiglio
- 2013-14 Season: Vaudeville Dreams by Janet Schlapkohl
- 2012-13 Season: Open House by Craig N. Owens
- 2011-12 Season: Dancing with the Moon by Tom Deiker
- 2010-11 Season: Again and Again, and Eventually by Erica Spiller
- 2009-10 Season: Flutter the Dovecotes by Christine Meinecke
- 2008-09 Season: Sleeping Dogs by Robert John Ford
- 2007-08 Season: A Simple Matter of Fear by Kay Rhoads
- 2006-07 Season: A Light that Burns by Erica Spiller