Iowa Playwrights Workshop
Congratulations to Our 2012-2013 Winning Script: Open House by Craig N. Owens!
It’s Our Mission
One element of Tallgrass Theatre’s mission is to provide an outlet for local talent to explore and develop. We believe that we achieve this in part by fostering the development of new plays by writers from Iowa. We do this by providing a forum in which the playwright can receive feedback on their work, revise their work, and hear their words spoken by actors.
How It Works
Tallgrass Theatre Company’s Iowa Playwrights Workshop (IPW) was created in 2006 for the purpose of developing and showcasing fresh new works by Iowa writers. Playwrights are encouraged to submit a single piece of their work at any time to Tallgrass Theatre via email, whether it be a one-act or full-length play. Scripts for the Workshop are read and evaluated by Tallgrass’ artistic staff, and in October, one script will be selected for the workshop. Upon the writer’s acceptance of the IPW conditions and process (below), the Workshop process begins.
Previous Workshop Productions
- 2012-13 Season: Open House by Craig N. Owens
- 2011-12 Season: Dancing with the Moon by Tom Deiker
- 2010-11 Season: Again and Again, and Eventually by Erica Spiller
- 2009-10 Season: Flutter the Dovecotes by Christine Meinecke
- 2008-09 Season: Sleeping Dogs by Robert John Ford
- 2007-08 Season: A Simple Matter of Fear by Kay Rhoads
- 2006-07 Season: A Light that Burns by Erica Spiller
- Submissions are evaluated by Tallgrass Theatre Company staff (Submission deadline is October 1)
- Finalists are selected; interviews are held with Iowa Playwrights Workshop (IPW) Director
- Winning playwright is contacted; meeting with IPW Director to discuss expectations and processes; Playwright Agreement is signed
- Winning playwright/script is announced December 1 (on tallgrasstheatre.org, in press releases and in e-mail to all who submitted)
- IPW Director to recruit cast for staged reading(s) and workshop process
- IPW Director leads rehearsals prior to staged reading(s)
- 2-3 rehearsals/table reads
- Playwright in attendance if possible
- Staged Reading(s) held at Rex Mathes Auditorium
- Free, invite-only event; Playwright may notify IPW Director of anyone he/she wishes to have included on the invite list
- Script (including stage directions) read aloud on stage, no blocking or
costumes/props are used
- After the reading, a moderated discussion with audience members is held,
facilitated by IPW Director—handouts are given to audience members to take notes and submit written feedback
- IPW Director to compile written feedback received and provide to Playwright
How To Apply
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.